Most people have a general idea of what a chiropractor does – providing adjustments to keep the spine in proper alignment. However, this is not the only benefit of chiropractic care. Here are 6 ways you can get help from a chiropractor.
- Spinal Alignment – This is the most common activity performed by chiropractors. Adjustments are provided to keep the neck and back in proper alignment.
- Aligning the Joints – The spine isn’t the only place you can have a misalignment. Joints such as the hips, shoulders, knees, elbows, ankles, and wrists can all be adjusted.
- Joint Bio-Mechanics – This has to do with the proper movement and function of joints rather than their alignment. If you have limited range of motion or if certain motions are painful, your chiropractor may be able to help relieve the issue.
- Soft-Tissue Problems – Pain in the muscles, ligaments, and tendons can often be related to misalignments. Correcting the underlying issue may allow the body to heal soft tissue damage and can improve pain.
- Nerve Compression and Irritation – A misalignment can also result in nerve compression and irritation. Nerve issues are often indicated by pain, burning, itching, or numbness and tingling in the extremities. A common nerve compression issue is sciatica. The irritation in this case often takes place due to a misalignment in the lumbar region of the spine, which is where this large nerve branches off from the spinal cord.
- Intervertebral Discs – When the spine is out of alignment, the vertebrae may be locked in a stressed position. This leads to the faster degeneration of the discs between the vertebrae. When the discs wear away too much, pain can become chronic. Keeping the spine properly aligned can help fight off this form of arthritis.
Clearly, chiropractors do much more than just keep the spine in alignment (although that is a very important part of what we do). So even if the pain is not in the back or neck, a call to the chiropractor may be just what you need.
Schedule Your Chiropractic Appointment Today
Dr. Ward is happy to help patients receive all of the benefits of chiropractic care, so regardless of where it hurts, or even if you are dealing with numbness and tingling, be sure to schedule an appointment today. You can call (703) 672-1661 or request an appointment online. We look forward to helping you get all the benefits that come from a properly aligned spine as well as keeping all of your other joints in place.